Message from Sandrine Soubes, email@example.com
- Would you like to get hands on experience of the whole research process from grant application, through to interviewing candidates and managing a budget?
- Would you like to be sole supervisor of a student with PI responsibility?
- Do you need to build your research funding profile and would like your own research consumables grant?
- Would having formal supervision experience increase the likelihood of success with your next fellowship application?
If the answer to any of the above is yes, then the Think Ahead: Sheffield Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) should be of interest to you.
Information sessions about the scheme will be held on:
- Tuesday 24th September // 12 -1pm // Barber House Boardroom
- Monday 30th September //4.15-5.15 // BMS Conference room (Alfred Denny Building)
The Think Ahead SURE scheme has now expanded and is open to researchers in the Faculty of Science (previously only open to Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health.
The scheme allows contract research staff and research students to be supervisors and it aims to allow undergraduate Science, Technology, Engineering and Medicine students to experience “Life as a Researcher” during the summer for 6-8 week projects, from 16th June to August 2014.
Research staff members on fixed term contracts, or PhD students (with a research staff member), with the approval of their Principal Investigators, are invited to apply for small research projects with consumables budget to be undertaken by undergraduate students. You will receive training in recruitment, teaching & supervision, and research project management, and be given assistance in applying for funding.
Once supervisor projects and undergraduate students are selected, the partnerships will be supported in applying for external funding for the project. During the information session, we will provide information of the external schemes to funds the student summer stipend.
To participate in the programme, you should complete the SURE Supervisor Application Form 2013
outlining the aim of your project and the research training that would be provided to the student.
Your completed application form should then be submitted, to Sandrine Soubes (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than 1st November 2013.